News / UAV
Oct 08, 2012
We are incredibly happy to report that we've assembled, boxed, and shipped the last batch of Mochas, which mean that all of our Kickstarter rewards have been delivered!! If your Mocha is one of this last batch, you should have a Kickstarter message with the tracking number enclosed. We are now assembling the Mocha pre-orders (purchased on our web store) and will ship them in the next two weeks. Kickstarter has been an amazing journey for the four of us - we thank all of you again for your continual support and understanding! While in some ways the process felt like it...
May 18, 2012
Hey all, Great news: THE FOAM PARTS ARE DONE!!!! Here they are packed into boxes and ready to hop into a container destined for the Port of Oakland! In other news, the AMGEN Tour of California bicycle race rolled through Bonny Doon, right past our office. We used a GoPro-equipped Quadshot to take some aerial footage of the cyclists going by. No stunts like chasing after them though - we didn’t want anyone reporting UFO sightings :-P Lastly, we’re bringing a couple Quadshot prototypes to the Maker Faire Bay Area in San Mateo, CA this weekend, so if you’ll be...
May 14, 2012
Update time again, and we’ll keep it short and sweet: Fourth time’s the charm! (For foam at least) We’re happy to announce we’ve approved the foam tooling! It took almost five months and three rounds of test shots, but the results look great and we feel it’s been worth the wait. Production all the foam parts (wings, winglets, pylons, and spar covers) has been kicked off and will take about a week. Chris also had a cool idea to add some pieces that let you keep radio RX bays you’re not using covered for a cleaner look and better aero:...
Mar 26, 2012
Hello all, It’s about time for another update on our progress towards getting you your Quadshots! Foam Molding: First and Second Shots As we said in our last update, the foam ‘first shots’ (first test parts out of the molds) were originally scheduled to be completed February 20th, but the mold tooling company encountered some delays and took almost two extra weeks. On March 3rd (Jeff’s last full day in China) the molds had made it to the molding company and been mounted into the molding machine, and Jeff went to see the first shots get made: First shots are...
Feb 25, 2012
Hello all, We’ve had an incredibly busy few weeks, with production runs on your Quadshots finally under way! We received all the plastic parts from our US based plastics supplier, and here are the boxes with enough plastic parts for 400 Quadshots: The new and (post the prototype run we mentioned in the last update) slightly improved electronics box: Brand new off the molds! And 1600 ABS-PC pylon skeletons: The Lisa/Ms for the Espresso level awards also ran through their production run for the Kickstarter deliveries. Here we see them being assembled at Dallas Electronics, our Santa Cruz based...
Dec 02, 2011
Hello all, Apologies again for the lack of updates! We are working hard to sort out the little niggles that have to be solved prior to production. We are really learning the 90-90 rule: the first 90% of a project takes 90% of the allotted time, and the last 10% of the project takes the other 90% :-) So here is a list of developments for many of the various elements that go into making the Quadshot: Legalese Much as we would prefer to only have to deal with engineering, the unfortunate fact is that we had to spend time...